Why Give Online?
Did you know that most people don’t carry a checkbook anymore? And for those that carry cash, typically they carry very little. According to the Washington Post, 50% of Americans carry $20 or less. In a recent study by Onovative, they found that only 20% of people carry their checkbook on a regular basis. In this digital age, giving in the traditional offering plate is becoming difficult.
In response to this cultural shift, we’re excited to announce that you now can give to Christ Church online at…
…or by downloading the app GivePlus for iPhone or Android.
Five Reasons to Consider Online Giving
Online giving doesn’t work for everyone. You need to give in the way that works for you and is most comfortable. But here are some reasons to consider making the switch:
- It makes pledged and committed giving easier. By setting up a recurring gift, your offering gets to the church on the date you want it to, whether you’re out of town, home sick, or you forgot your check on the kitchen table.
- It’s convenient. You don’t have to be sitting in the church pew to give. You can send in your offering anytime, anywhere.
- It’s green. There is no envelope, checks, stamps, or driving to the bank involved when giving online.
- It helps the church plan well. The consistency of recurring gifts helps the finance committee and trustees plan expenditures better and not just guess.
- It’s less work. From the counting, to the recording, to the trips to the bank, traditional offerings create tasks that are not needed for online giving.
Some Common Questions
So you’re considering an online donation, but some questions come to mind. Here are four common questions that people ask:
- Is online giving safe? Yes, it is very safe. Our online giving provider, Vanco Services is a PCI (Payment Card Industry) Level 1 Compliant Service Provider, which requires adherence to rigorous security standards and comprehensive independent onsite assessments on a regular basis.
- Are there any fees involved? No…and yes. You will not be charged a fee to donate. But to offer this service, the church is charged 2.75% of your donation total. If you wish to offset these fees, you may do so at the time of your donation in the indicated field. Or you can bypass fees by choosing the ACH option.
- What do I do during the offering time? It feels awkward not to give in the plate. That’s a very valid point. You may feel like you’re not participating or that you’re not modeling a generous spirit. If that’s the case, feel free to put a note on your Connect Card that says, “I gave online”.
How to Give Online
- Go to christumcmarietta.org/give.
- Click on the “Create Profile” button on the right.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to create your profile and make your donation.
- Choose ACH for zero fee giving.
Using the GivePlus app on your tablet or smartphone:
- Download the app.
- Allow the app to detect your location.
- Search and select Christ United Methodist Church in Marietta, Ohio.
For any questions or help in setting up your giving, contact the church office.